Clerk: Gillian Martin,
Tel No 07923 983 473
Thursby Parish Council meeting
Tuesday 21st January
Minutes of meeting
Council Members: Cllrs Wendy Bowe (Chair) Mike Rorke, Peter Hunter, Chris Haig Prothero, Ray McCreadie, Helen Barlow and Ewan Hall.
Cumbria County Council:
Allerdale Borough Councillor:
Members of the public: None
Parish Clerk: Gillian Martin
159/01/2020 Apologies: Cllr Mike Johnson- Cumbria County Councillor, Cllr Vaughan Hodgson – Allerdale Borough Council, Cllr Myra Armstrong – Thursby Parish Council.
160/01/2020 Declarations of Interest: None
161/01/2020 Dispensations: None
162/01/2020 Minutes of Previous Meetings: The minutes of the meeting of 17th December 2019 were discussed and Councillors made one amendment at item 150/12/19 to add that Councillor Johnson stated that he could provide the costs of maintenance of lighting.
The Council then resolved to sign the minutes as a true record of the meeting.
163/01/2020 Chairs Announcements – On behalf of the Council, the Chair welcomed Gillian Martin as the new clerk to the Parish Council and Councillors were pleased to note that Gillian lives in the village. Councillors discussed the possible purchase of a mobile phone for the clerk.
The Council resolved to contact other Parish Councils and CALC for further information on mobile phone usage and review this next month.
The Chair advised that Cumbria County Council are conducting a formal consultation proposing a 50 mph speed limit on a section of the A595 with comments to be returned by 31 January 2020. This is on the agenda for discussion at item 13.
The Chair announced an event taking place at Energus, Lillyhall, Workington on Wednesday 29th January 2020. The Big Conversation is an event which aims to start a conversation around how we can better support families in our communities. Councillor Hall expressed an interest in attending.
164/01/2020 Public Participation – none raised
165/01/2020 Reports from:-
Cumbria County Council
Councillor Mike Johnson sent the following report
• Would you please bring to the Councils attention that there is a ‘Formal Consultation’ for a proposed speed limit on the A595 from Peter Lane roundabout to a point of 185 metres south west of the Nealhouse junction.
If there’s anything the Council requires any assistance from me please let me know.
Allerdale Borough Council
Councillor Vaughan Hodgson sent the following report
• There has been a complaint received from a resident about the Crofton Lake fence regarding the height and position in relation to Planning. This has been resolved by myself with no further action required at this stage.
• ABC plan to start a LATCO to collect all rubbish and recycling materials as of 1/4/20. No changes are anticipated on the ground so residents should see no difference. Allerdale have decided to bring the entire operation back ‘in house’ for complete control and cost saving benefits.
• ABC have a budget document out currently for comment – item 8 on your agenda.
• At the last ABC full council, Cricketer Ben Stokes was to be awarded ‘Freeman of the Borough’ for his achievements in Cricket.
• The new stadium proposal at Workington is still being investigated and an announcement will be made as necessary.
• Foot way lighting- it is now proposed that Parish Councils will be responsible for the cost of the energy used by said items located within their Parish. The replacement and repair will still be by ABC/CCC or Highways. This is to be effective as of 1/4/21
Any other items that require my attention, please let me know by email/phone.
166/01/2020 Allerdale Budget Consultation
Councillors have previously expressed concern about the proposed devolvement of responsibility for the energy costs of footway lighting to the Parish Council.
167/01/2020 Buckingham Palace Garden Party –
Councillors resolved to nominate Chair Wendy Bowe.
168/01/2020 Support for the Throstle – Peg Eastwood has organised a meeting to discuss support for the Throstle which is scheduled to take place on Wednesday 22nd January 2020 and several Councillors indicated they are planning to attend. There was a discussion around how best to support the ongoing production of the Throstle and the Council resolved to offer the same financial support to the Throstle as currently and to invite the Throstle Committee to a future Parish Council meeting.
169/01/2020 Tivoli price increases – the Council resolved to
• check the terms of the current 3 year contract regarding increases during the contract term
• ask Tivoli for justification of the increase
• ask Tivoli to advise which areas of the village they pick up the grass
• consider this further at a future meeting.
170/01/2020 Joint training with Orton Parish Council- the Council welcomed the approach from Orton Parish Council and resolved to respond that 2 Councillors would be interested in joining Orton for the Essential Councillor Course part 1. Thursby Council want to run Part 2 at Thursby to facilitate all 8 Councillors and the Clerk attending and would be happy for Orton Councillors to join them in Thursby Parish Hall for this training.
171/01/202 CCC proposal to introduce a 50mph speed limit A 595 Peter Lane to Nealhouse – the Council welcomed the proposal but resolved to comment that it would be appreciated if the 50 mph speed limit could be extended to How End and Crofton Arch on the A595 as there have been a number of accidents on this stretch of road. Councillors wanted the speed limit incorporated on the A596 up to and including the Wigton turn off where the 50mph speed limit starts on the bypass. Councillors expressed concern the bypass would turn into a race track and wanted to know how the speed limit would be enforced and what impact would there be regarding the Southern bypass.
172/01/2020 Clerks report on actions taken not otherwise covered on the agenda
The previous clerk had submitted a report on actions taken since the last meeting in December 2019. Councillors discussed the timing of future Clerk Surgeries and resolved that surgeries would take place on Wednesday 5th February 2020 at 3pm to 5pm and on Wednesday 19th February 2020 at 9am to 11am in the Parish Hall.
173/01/2020 Progress reports for information reflecting the priorities of the Community Led Plan
• Health and Wellbeing – The Burns night has been cancelled. The Curry Night is on Saturday 22nd February 2020. Tickets are £13.50 for adults and £3.50 for children. Contact Stuart Eastwood for further details. Gravel is due to be put down this week on the driveway at the entrance to the Jubilee Field.
• Environment – highways – Stop tap cover at the top of Matty Lonning in the lay by needs replacing. The state of the road surfaces through the village are causing concern and the road from the roundabout to Stonehouse Park has dropped where the water pipe has been put.
• Housing issues – no update
• Community amenities – no update
• Communications – There is a meeting on Tuesday 28th January 2020 at 7.30pm at the Parish Hall to discuss the Parish Council website. Councillor McCreadie will populate the Minutes on the Facebook page.
VAR/2020/0001 – Variation of condition 2 on applicaiton 2/2011/0350, to show addition of internal chimney and single storey sun room on plots 2 & 3 – Land at Greenside, Thursby.
Councillors resolved to register a concern that the sun room window of both plots is close to the house behind and may be intrusive.
175/01/2020 Payment of Accounts
The Council resolved to authorise approval for the following payments
• Clerk’s salary – (Standing Order) – £604.28 (to include additional payment for unpaid leave)
• PAYE – (Standing Order) – £151.20
• PLG Accountants – £30
• Clerks expenses – £103.25
• CHBT – Emergency phone line – £52
The Council approved
• The Council approved the change of clerk from Jeff Downham to Gillian Martin and signed to authorise that financial information should be sent to the new Clerk.
• The Council approved the new clerk’s attendance at 2 sessions of Clerk Induction training – Module 1 on 4th February 2020 at Penrith and Module 2 on 25th February 2020 at Penrith and payment of £80 (£40 each event) and travel costs.
The council resolved to approve the financial statement as at 31st December 2019 and signed the accounts and accompanying bank statement.
177/01/2020 Councillors reports and items for future agenda
Gravel at Jubilee Field entrance
Stop tap cover at Matty Lonning
Mobile phone for clerk
Invitation to Throstle Committee
Any additional agenda items to be with the clerk by Friday 7th February 2020.
Date of next Parish Council meeting will be at 7.30pm on
Tuesday 18th February 2020 at Thursby Parish Hall.