THURSBY PARISH COUNCIL
Clerk: Jeff Downham,
Tel No 07795484126
Thursby Parish Council meeting
Tuesday 17th May
Minutes of meeting
Council Members: Cllrs Wendy Bowe (Chair), Peter Hunter (Vice Chair) Ken Peerless, David Pattinson and Maggie Howard.
Cumbria County Council:
Allerdale Borough Councillor: Pat MacDonald
Members of the public: Two
Parish Clerk: Jeff Downham
223/5/16 – To elect a chairman of the council for 2016/17 – Cllr Wendy Bowe was proposed and seconded. Cllr Bowe duly elected chair of the council for a further year.
224/5/16 – To receive the chairman declaration of office – Declaration of office signed by Cllr Wendy Bowe
225/5/16 – To appoint a vice-chairman of the council for 2016/17 – Cllr Peter Hunter was proposed and seconded. Cllr Hunter duly elected vice-chair for a further year
226/5/16 – Apologies – Cllr Fairbairn
227/5/16 – Declaration of interests – None
228/5/16 – Dispensations – None
229/5/16 – Minutes of previous meeting – The minutes of the meeting of the 19th April 2016 were agreed as being correct and signed by the chair.
230/5/16 – Chairs announcements – Members of the Parish Council have been invited to afternoon tea at the Wigton Baths to celebrate the first anniversary of the taking over of the Wigton baths by the trustees. The event will take place at the baths on Sunday 5th June 2-4pm.
231/5/16 – Public Participation – Comment was made on the good job being done with the grass cutting along the footpath to the Jubilee Field on Stonehouse Park, it was suggested that the Parish Council write to the resident responsible for the grass cutting to acknowledge this.
Reports from: –
Cumbria Police – PCSO Irving attended the meeting and reported that there have been 6 incidents reported to the Police for the area of Thursby from the last meeting on the 19th April to present meeting on the 17th May 2016.
- On the 19th April in the area of Thursby there was a report of a four-five vehicle road traffic collision. Police have attended the area and only two vehicles were involved in the incident. Police, Recovery vehicle and ambulance attended the scene.
- On the 23rd April in the area of Moor End, Thursby there was a report of a two vehicle road traffic collision. Fire service, police, ambulance, Air ambulance, Highways to clear the road and recovery for vehicles attended the scene. Persons were taken to Hospital.
- On the 9th May in the area of School road, Thursby. There was a report of Criminal damage in the area between the dates of the 7th-9th May whereby a window of a property has been smashed. Police have attended the area and are still ongoing with their enquiries. Police encourage anyone with any further information to contact the police on 101 log reference: CP-20160509-0066
Cumbria County Council – No report
Allerdale Borough Council – Cllr MacDonald informed the council that with regard to the Story Homes planning application Allerdale Borough Council had expressed concern about the number of amendments to the application, and that they had advised Story’s to put any amendments in at the same time to avoid confusion when commenting on the application. The Cllr also informed the council that this application was not on the next development panel meeting on the 24th May but may be on the June panel the date of which is not yet identified. A discussion was had as to the process for objections to be raised at the development panel and it was agreed that a number of residents be identified who would be prepared to speak at the meeting. The issue of weeding of footpaths in the village was raised and Cllr MacDonald agreed to contact Cllr Fairbairn regarding this.
233/5/16 – Discussion regarding future provision of dog bags – Following the last council meeting an invite had been extended to dog owners to attend this meeting to discuss the issue of dog bag provision, in light of the fact that this did not result in the attendance of anyone with a view on this matter the council resolved to cease paying for the dog bags for the dispenser for a trial period to see whether this had any impact in the parish, Allerdale provided bags will still be available from the parish hall. Comments had been received suggesting that dog bags are available at minimal costs and they are clearly being used as the dog waste bins are often full to overflowing.
234/5/16 – Electrical vehicle charging point – Councillors discussed the option of installing an electrical charging point in the parish accessing a grant available to do this. The grant would only support the installation of a low charge point which would take 8 hours to charge, the better option would be for a fast charge point but the costs of this option would be considerably more and due to the limited demand was felt by councillors not to be worth pursuing.
235/5/16 – Thursby Parish Hall – A discussion was had by councillors about how the parish council could better support the parish hall committee, it was agreed by the council that a letter be sent to the parish hall committee regarding the request for support for the post office outreach service and that should any future agenda items involve the parish hall then a committee member should be invited to the meeting. It was acknowledged that the parish hall committee and the parish council should have a close working relationship.
236/5/16 – Parish Signage – Councillors discussed the need to improve the signage in the parish with regard to better directions to the parish hall and to the jubilee field, comment was made as to whether this would require planning permission and the council resolved to enquire with Allerdale planning before pursuing the matter further.
237/5/16 – Other reports: –
The annual accounts have been delivered to the internal auditor who has audited them and produced her report as circulated.
The annual return to the external auditors (BDO) has been completed and forwarded to BDO, together with the report covering variances of over £100 in three categories.
The audit returns, the financial statement as at 31st March 2016, all items of expenditure over £100 and the internal auditors report are now published on the website in accordance with the Transparency Code Regulations
A fresh application to the British Heat Foundation has been submitted for part funding for a defibrillator.
A freedom of information request for accident statistics for Thursby (still awaiting details)
A letter has been forwarded to Cumbria County Council regarding the changes to the junction to Dalston from the A595, received a letter back to say that they would expect any new junction to take up to 6 months to be completely understood.
ISS have agreed to cut the piece of verge in the centre of the village on Church Road free of charge.
Thursby Parish Hall
Cllr Peerless fed back to the council views from the last parish hall committee meeting and suggested a letter be sent to the committee chair outlining the council’s decision on the request for financial support for the post office outreach service. He also stated that a request had gone out for additional volunteers to assist with the on-going maintenance of the hall.
Broadband – No report
Neighbourhood Forum – No meeting since that last council meeting
Thursby School – No report
238/5/2016 – Planning-
- 2/2016/0254 – Side extension to provide annex accommodation for disabled needs – Westering, Curthwaite Road, Thursby – Parish Councillors had no objections to this application, however it was agreed to raise the issue of parking and whether there would be sufficient parking spaces on the premises / turning circle as additional roadside parking at this location was not suitable.
2/2016/0197 – Front extension to property to create enlarged lounge and porch 69 Stonehouse Park, Thursby – Parish Councillors had no objections to this application, however did agree that the provision of adequate parking on the premises be raised.
- 2/2016/0070 – Amendment to Story planning application, and a request to remove the electricity pole from land at the parish hall – Parish Councillors agreed to set up a separate meeting to agree a response to this amendment. With regard to the request from Story Homes for the removal of the electricity pole and stays from the parish hall grounds should the development go ahead, councillors resolved to notify Story Homes that should the development go ahead it would be sensible for the removal of the pole and stays and undergrounding of this section of cabling and would have no objections to this taking place.
Planning Decision Notices: – None
239/5/16 – Payments of Accounts
The council agreed the following payments: –
- Clerk’s salary – (Standing Order) – £331.00
- PAYE – (Standing Order) – £82.80
- Clerks expenses – £104.15
- ISS – £468.46
- PLG Accountants – £40
- JRB – Dog bags – £130.20
- CALC – Annual subscription – £214
240/5/16 – Accounts
The financial statement as at 30th April 2016 was agreed and signed by the council chair.
Date of next meeting – It has been agreed that the next meeting will take place at 7.30pm Tues 21st June 2016 in Thursby Parish Hall