THURSBY PARISH COUNCIL

 

Clerk: Jeff Downham,

Email: thursbypc@gmail.com

Tel No 07795484126

 Thursby Parish Council meeting

Tuesday 19th April

2016

 

Minutes of meeting

 

Council Members: Cllrs Wendy Bowe (Chair), Peter Hunter (Vice Chair) Ken Peerless, David Pattinson and Maggie Howard.

Cumbria County Council: Duncan Fairbairn

Allerdale Borough Councillor: Pat MacDonald

Members of the public:2

Parish Clerk: Jeff Downham

 205/4/16 – Apologies – None

 206/4/16 – Declaration of interests – Cllrs Bowe and Pattinson on the sports and recreation item, Cllr Pattinson on agenda item 16.  Story Homes development

 207/4/16 – Dispensations – None

 208/4/16 – Minutes of previous meeting – The minutes of the meeting of the 22nd March 2016 were agreed as being correct and signed by the chair.

 209/4/16 – Chairs announcements – None

 210/4/16 – Public Participation – The grass verge in the centre of Thursby village was raised which is not being cut, the question as to whose responsibility it is to cut it, councillors pointed out that this was the responsibility of the County Council who are only obliged to cut it once per year but agreed to enquire with the parish councils grass cutting contractor as to the cost of cutting this piece of grass.

211/4/16 –

Reports from: -

Cumbria Police – PCSO Irving attended the meeting and reported that there have been 12 incidents reported to the Police for the area of Thursby from the last meeting on the 16th February to present meeting on the 19th April 2016.

Below is an over view of some of the incidents reported.

  • On the 19th February there was a three vehicle road traffic Collison damage only on the A595 in the area of Thursby, no persons involved were injured. Police attended and all party’s details were passed.
  • On the 10th of March on the A595 in the area of Thursby there was two vehicle road traffic collision. Police/ ambulance and a recovery company attended the scene.
  • On the 11th of March officers have stopped a vehicle in the area of Thursby on the A595. The driver was breathalyzed which was negative and advice was given regarding her driving.
  • On the 6th of April there were reports to the police that there was debris on the road of the A595 near Thursby. Contact was made with Connect roads that attended and cleared the highway.
  • On the 11th of April on the A595 in the area of Thursby a vehicle was seized by officers under Section 165 of the Road Traffic Act as the vehicle was being driven by a person who did not hold the correct driving license. Police are still investigating the offence.

Cumbria County Council – Cllr Fairbairn informed the meeting that the Highways Hotline number had now changed to 0300 303 2992. He had received a report of a damaged road sign on Curthwaite road which he was addressing with the county Council, and stated that the new Dalston junction from Cardewlees on the A595 was not working as per the new restrictions on its access from the A595 and encouraged the parish council to write a letter to the highways engineer for North Cumbria.

 Allerdale Borough Council – Cllr MacDonald informed the council that Allerdale Borough Council were changing their e-mail system on Friday 22nd April which hopefully would mean no loss of service. She referred to the amendment to the planning application for the housing development in Thursby stating she was to look at the plans on Friday 22nd April.

212/4/16 – Thursby war memorial – The estimate as provided by Beaties memorials together with a further estimate from Able memorials were discussed by the council and it was resolved that the council give the work to Able Memorials.

 213/4/16 – Provision of dog bags – A discussion was had as to the provision of an additional dog dispenser and the costs to the council of another dispenser, the matter had been discussed at the recent parish meeting with residents surprised at the cost to the parish council of supplying dog bags.

The council resolved to continue to fund the supply of a further 3 months of dog bags but to try the purchase of cheaper dogs bags to see if they could be adapted to fit the dispenser. They also agreed to invite dog owners to the next Parish Council meeting for their views on how to address the issue of dog waste and review the situation in 3 months’ time.

214/4/16 – Mobile phone provision – It was agreed that mobile phone reception within the parish was patchy with agencies working within Thursby unable to make necessary calls when working in some parts of the village.

Councillors resolved to check themselves where the mobile phone blackspots were and to check with mobile phone providers as to the level of coverage, and whether any improvements could be made. 

 215/4/16 – The annual parish meeting – The turnout to the recent annual parish meeting was disappointing, however the business as per the agenda was carried out with discussions having taken place on the issues of dog fouling and how improvements to the parish signage could be made, the results of both these discussions having been acknowledged by the parish council.

It was resolved that future annual parish meetings be separate from the main parish council agenda.

 216/4/16 – Update to financial regulations – Councillors were informed of the recent changes to the financial regulations and resolved that they should be adopted by the council.

 217/4/16 – Community Plan – Cllr Bowe reported that the response to the questionnaire had now been analysed and this analysis would now be formatted into a document which would determine the priorities for the parish. It was resolved that a steering group be re-formed in order that relevant parties could have an influence in how the community plan is shaped. 

 218/4/16 – Post Office outreach service – A letter had been received from the Parish hall committee asking whether the Parish Council could support the outreach postal service currently operating from the hall. The current contract with the post office franchise holder included room hire for the days the service operated at a reduced rate to that of other users of the hall, this being due to the fact that the price being paid was similar to that of other premises offering a similar service. With this service being vital to the community the parish hall were looking for financial support to continue with this as well as further negotiations with the franchise holder.

The council resolved that it could not help with this as this would be seen as supporting a commercial business which it could not do.

 219/4/16 – Other reports: -

Clerks report

The end of year accounts are now complete and a new system set up for the new financial year. An appointment has been made with the auditor on Tuesday 26th April for review and report on the council’s finances. The time scale for completion of this year’s audit has changed with returns to be with the external auditor by the 30th June and the return has changed from previous years in preparation for the new audit procedures for 2016/17. The financial statement for the end of the year has been circulated together with a spreadsheet copy of the cash book for your information.

 Thursby Parish Hall- Nothing to report.

 Broadband – Nothing to report

 Neighbourhood Forum – No meeting

 Thursby School –  Nothing to report.

 220/4/2016 – Planning-

Application number 2/2016/2016 – Re consultation on proposed development of 69 houses on Matty Lonning by Story Homes – This matter was discussed by Councillors who resolved to defer comment until after they had met separately to agree their response, and to request an extension of the consultation period to allow accidents stats for the area to be obtained.

 Planning Decision Notices: – None

 

 

 221/3/16 – Payments of Accounts

The council agreed the following payments: -

  • Clerk’s salary – (Standing Order) – £331.00
  • PAYE – (Standing Order) – £82.80
  • Clerks expenses – £92.00 – chq no. 426
  • Microsoft 365 renewal – £59.99 – chq no. 427
  • PLG Accountants – £40 – chq no. 428
  • Zurich Insurance – 4524.35 – chq no. 429

222/3/16 – Accounts year-end audit:

Annual accounts statement and the annual governance statement

for 2015/16 was approved and signed by the council chair

The financial statement as at 31st March 2016 was agreed and signed by the council chair.

Date of next meeting – It has been agreed that the next meeting will take place at 7.30pm Tues 17th May 2016 in Thursby Parish Hall