15th September 2015



Clerk: Jeff Downham,

Email: thursbypc@gmail.com

Tel No 07795484126


Minutes of Thursby Parish Council meeting

Tuesday 15th September 2015


Council Members: Wendy Bowe (Chair), Ken Peerless, David Pattinson, Maggie Howard

Cumbria County Council: Duncan Fairbairn

Allerdale Borough Councillor: Patricia MacDonald,

Members of the public: None

Parish Clerk: Jeff Downham


76/9/15 – Apologies – Cllr Peter Hunter


77/9/15 – Declaration of interests – Cllrs Bowe and Pattinson on sports and recreation, Cllr Peerless on the Throstle grant application.


78/9/15 – Dispensations – None


79/9/15 – Minutes of previous meeting – The minutes of the meeting of the 21st July 2015 were agreed as being correct and signed by the chair.


80/9/15 – Chairs announcements – The CALC AGM will take place on the 24th September 2015 at Wigton Market Hall at 7pm


81/9/15 – Public Participation: – Correspondence has been received on the following issues: –

The footpath marker having been placed on the wrong side of Matty Beck at the entrance to the Jubilee Field, Cllr Fairbairn confirmed that was the case and he had instructed the highways team to have it moved to the correct position.

Issues were raised about grass cutting on the A595, ragwort on the roadside, overgrown hedges, a pothole on A595 at Nealhouse, which has been reported to Connect Roads, and a missing cattle warning sign. It was resolved that the clerk contacts the writer to clarify the locations of these issues.

Complaints had been received about the overgrown hedges and overhanging shrubs on the cut through paths in Stonehouse Park. It was resolved that an article be placed in the Throstle requesting house owners to address these issues.

The tree by the notice board near the green is overhanging and causing pedestrians to duck to avoid it, clerk to arrange for a contractor to have it cut back.

A resident is putting food down for the birds on the path leading to the jubilee field, this is encouraging rats in the area, clerk to make enquiries with the environmental health to see if a letter can be sent to the resident asking them not to do this.

Concern was expressed as to the state of the garages near to the jubilee field on School Road making them a potential hazard to anyone playing near them, clerk to make enquiries with Home Group to see what could be done to get them tidied up and secured.


82/9/15 –

Reports from: –

Cumbria County Council – Cllr Fairbairn informed the council that he had been made aware of the alleged speeding issue in the Paddocks and the request for a sign. The Highways advised him that the sign that was sought was not a sign that was recognised by the Highways Act. Therefore could not be erected. However, Highways had indicated that if a resident wished to erect a sign on private land they could do so. Following a request as to the cost of the recent drainage works carried out near to the green in Thursby, he stated that this work had been carried out one day shorter than originally priced for, and that the total cost of the work had been £3,500 and not the initial cost of £4,419.

With regard to the proposed lay by on School Road, which necessitated the Home Group transfer of the land asset to Highways from Home Group, he had been advised by the Home Group asset manager that Home Group had now put a moratorium on any transfers. Cllr Fairbairn said that he had now taken this up with the Home Group Chairman Mr Bob Davies, who is now looking into the matter.


Allerdale Borough Council – Nothing to report, it was raised that the new lighting column by the notice board at the green in Thursby was not lit, Cllr MacDonald agreed that she would make enquiries with highways.


Cumbria Police – PCSO Irving informed he council that there hade been 10 incidents of note in the Thursby area since August, on the 19th August a report of a cow in the road, no trace when officers arrived and the other 9 incidents were not considered to be in the public interest. The issue of tractors speeding through the village was raised and the officer stated that if registration numbers of offending vehicles were recorded they would make enquiries with the owners and advise them accordingly.


83/9/15 – Connection of the additional streetlight on Matty Lonning opposite St Andrews Church – the trench work to connect the lamp to the existing one near to the Parish Hall has now been completed and highways have been notified and have confirmed that the lighting columns should be connected up before the end of the month.


84/9/15 – Northwest Coast Connections Project – representatives from the National Grid have offered to attend a Thursby Parish Council meeting to discuss the proposed route of the power cables from the new nuclear plant at Moorside into the National Grid.

Councillors resolved to take up that request and invite a representative to either of the next two council meetings. Clerk to arrange.


85/9/15 –School Road/Shawk Crescent road improvements – this item has been covered in Councillor Fairbairn’s report.


86/9/15 – Grass cutting contract – following a number of recent comments from residents complimenting the contractors on their work, councillors agreed that with the first year of the contract completed at the end of October they had no complaints as to the standard of the work having been carried out.


87/9/15 – Jubilee Field progress – The field will be drained levelled and seeded by the end of the month but will not be available to be used for the next 12 months.


88/9/15 – Drainage work on the school field – following an enquiry with the council solicitor’s confirmation was given that should an issue occur with regard to the recent drainage works having been carried out under the footpath owned by the parish Council, then no responsibility would fall on the council. A letter has been forwarded to the school governors requesting the school acknowledge this.


89/9/15 – Thursby Community Plan – Cllr Bowe informed the council that the draft questionnaire had now been circuited to a number of groups for initial feedback and any amendments. It was hoped that this would be returned within the next two weeks after which they would be printed up in sufficient numbers to distribute to residents in the parish.


90/9/15 – Grant applications – grant applications were received from eleven organisations and following lengthy discussions it was resolved that the following organisations would be given grants/donations: –

  • Thursby Throstle
  • Thursby Gentleman’s coffee morning group
  • Thursby and Westward First Responders
  • Thursby Sports and Recreation Committee
  • Thursby Gardening Club
  • St Andrews PCC
  • Crofton Social Club
  • Great North Air Ambulance
  • Wigton Baths Trust


91/9/15 –Annual Return – Councillors approved and accepted the findings of the 2014/15 annual return


92/9/15 – Other reports: –

Clerks report – Activity and update on actions from last meeting:–

Contacted Allerdale Street scene officers and notified them of the addressees of the overhanging trees on Matty Lonning.

Contacted Cumbria Highways regarding the overgrown verges on The Pow road, stated they were to be cut in the next few weeks.

Contacted ISS regarding the overgrown verges on Matty Lonning junction with Church Lane and Church Road, met with the contractors and viewed the areas and agreed with them that they would cut those areas but would bill Cumbria Highways for the work.

Contacted Allerdale street scene officer regarding a resident allowing their dog to foul in the village, address provided in order that a letter could be sent.

Ordered dog waste bags for the waste bag dispenser.

Arranged for the Allerdale Housing officer to attend the parish council meeting in October.

Reported streetlight on the old A595 not working and pothole on A595 at Nealhouse.

Contacted Home Housing regarding the hedge at The Park requiring cutting, Home Housing acknowledged this was an issue and that they had previously cut it but because of a legal issue they were no longer to cut it, the matter is currently with their legal department.

Liaised with planning consultants working on behalf of Story Homes regarding a consultation event on a proposed development on Matty Lonning, now to be held in the Parish Hall on Friday 30th October 1-7pm.


Thursby Parish Hall- An electric screen has been fitted on the far wall in the hall enabling the hall to be used for presentations and possible film showing. Regular coffee mornings are taking place together with other entertainment events and the committee, which now totals nine, has appointed a minute secretary. An enquiry has been made with the hall by the Postal Service on the viability of using the hall for 2 hours per month following the closure of the village post office.


Broadband – Connecting Cumbria have offered to hold a meeting in the Parish hall to better inform residents on how to get the best use out of the superfast broadband, it was pointed out to them that there are still areas not receiving the service in the parish and further information as to when all residents will receive it needs to be available, Cllr Bowe to make contact with Connecting Cumbria.


Neighbourhood Forum- No report


Thursby School – No report



Planning applications-

2/2015/0520 – Variation of condition 2 on planning approval 2/2011/0350 Plot 1 Land at Greenside, Thursby. Councillors were concerned that this was just an exercise to extend the planning application which had now lapsed.


2/2015/0531 – Listed building consent for replacement fireplace, existing surround and mantelpiece to be retained – Greenwood House, Thursby – no objections


19. Planning Decision Notices: –

2/2015/0372 – Erection of agricultural building High Whinnow Farm – full plans approved 10/8/15


94/9/15 – Payments of Accounts

The council agreed the following payments: –

  • Clerk’s salary – (Standing Order) – £331.20
  • PAYE – (Standing Order) – £82.60
  • Clerks expenses – £146.45
  • ISS – £1945.78
  • JRB – £130.20
  • BDO – £276
  • Story Construction – £6253.20


95/9/15 – Accounts audit:

The financial statement 31st August 2015 was agreed and signed by the council chair.


Date of next meeting – It has been agreed that the next meeting will take place at 7.30pmTues 20th October 2015 in Thursby Parish Hall.




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.